Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Widsom Teeth Extraction Update

Day 4 post-wisdom teeth (plus 2) extraction!

My appointment last week was ROUGH. I have terrible dentist anxiety and so when I walked into the office, I was already in tears out of fear. Keep in mind, the dental practice I go to specializes in anxiety patients, so it would appear that they deal with this often.

They take me back to the oral surgeon and I'm still in tears. I sit down and the surgeon walks in and asks me what teeth he is taking out. He doesn't have my file or any info on me at all. I can barely answer so he yells for his nurse so he can find out. Red flag #1 but I figure he's a busy guy who just didn't have time to look at the file before my appt.

He asks me if I'm cold and I say no (I'm wearing a bulky sweatshirt) so he asks me if I want to take it off. I start to say yes and then he yanks my arm, says "nevermind keep it on" and just pulls ups the sleeves and starts to prep for the IV. Red flag #2 but ok he just has no bedside manner.

I'm starting to feel REALLY uneasy at this point so he snaps to my husband to come hold my hand. He starts to put the tourniquet on and I ask him not to touch me for a second so I can just collect myself (I'm terrified of needles) and he YELLS at me that he isn't doing anything he's JUST LOOKING and then the asshat goes and STICKS ME! I get that he is just trying to knock me out so I stop panicking, but dude if I chick tells you not to touch her for a second, it's time for HANDS OFF. I feel incredibly upset at this point, but it's short-lived because I'm then knocked out.

Now remember, this practice specializes in patients with dental anxiety. (It's in the NAME of the practice even). Even if he hadn't read my file, my behavior in the few minutes he saw me would clearly indicate I have issues with medical procedures. So why WHY on earth did he WAKE ME UP before he was 100% finished working in my mouth! I can't for sure say at what part of the procedure I woke up in, but I know that he was still working in my mouth when I came out of anesthesia and I proceeded to COMPLETELY freak out and start moaning and flailing thinking I'm awake during the procedure.  Afterwards I remember telling him I woke up in the middle and hearing my husband behind me start to get irate at him, but the Dr told my husband it was at the end and he was "mostly done". In reality, he probably was just cleaning up and putting the gauze in, but seriously. He could have waited the 2 minutes until he was out of my mouth. You have no sense of time under anesthesia and it was absolute terror for a few minutes until I became fully aware of it all.

Thankfully it's over now. I'm still experiencing pain and have found the wonder of alternating Advil and Tylenol to be the ONLY thing that works. It works even better than the Vicodin they gave me. I still have some swelling and I'm slightly concerned that my chin is still numb, but hopefully when I go back to Dr. Evil on Thursday for the follow-up everything will look fine and I will never have to see this guy again! (I called yesterday to ask if there was ANY other doctor I could see for my follow-up, but they said it had to be him. Sigh).

I just want this whole ordeal to be over so we can get back on the Trying to Conceive train! I need some other work done, but my regular dentist said it shouldn't interfere with that.

*speaking of my regular dentist, he is at this same practice and I LOVE him, but I don't know if I can keep going back there. Would you go back??

No comments:

Post a Comment